Sunday, December 16, 2012

Essentials Abroad



A little update: I recently got married and I am now living in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.   Yes, that’s in Africa! It is really hot here and I thought I would do a post on my most essentials items that I always grab, so here goes.

1. Deodorant
Yes, obviously this would be at my number one spot as I think it is really essential and in this hot weather you always want to smell fresh. 
My recommendation: Degree Clinical Strength

2. Bar Soap
I have now gotten accustom to using bar soap on my body oppose to a body wash it’s just easier to use and it lathers well.  I even sometimes use it as a replacement for shampoo.  My recommendation: Lush soaps and shampoo bars, and L’Occtaine soap (amazing but pricey). 

3. Waterproof eyeliner
This is an essential regardless of the climate of where you are living; however because of the humidity anything and everything must be waterproof.

4. Hand Sanitizer
There are so many germs that accumulate and everywhere you go you have to be precautious.  I would recommend hand sanitizer regardless of where you live especially when you work with kids.  Obviously, hand sanitizer is not a replacement for washing your hands however when there is lack of water or if you’re in need to wash your hands it’s a good alternative.  My recommendation: Any Bath and Body Works Hand Sanitizer, plus you can even get really cute holders for them, Purell and Dettol sanitizer.

5. La Fresh Wipes
I recently came across these wipes when I went to a trade show and since then I have been trying to find them everywhere! I was browsing around Hautelook.com one day and saw them on sale and decided to buy a few packs.  They come in a variety of uses for example they have anti-bacterial wipes, deodorant wipes, nail polish wipes, makeup remover wipes, etc.  They are really small and are easy to transport and very convenient to slip into your bag when your heading out.  I cannot tell you how many times they have saved me in different situations.  These are something you must try!

6.  LongChamp Bag
When I first bought this amazing, incredible French tote bag I thought I was just going by the trend and wasting my money.  However, I realized how essential this bag is and how often I use it that it was well worth the money.  The bags come in a variety of colors and sizes and fold into a small square when you are storing them away.  They are durable and you can wash them with water or throw them in the washing machine.  I have the medium and large size bag and by far it has been a must have especially convenient when going to the beach because it holds an ample amount of stuff. 

7.  Bug Spray
I have to admit I have not put on bug spray for quite sometime but every time I get an itching mosquito bite I curse myself for not putting some on.  Because I live in a highly infested area of mosquitoes and malaria is prevalent I do take malaria tablets as a precaution, but the spray does help to fend off those pesty bugs. 

8.  Evian Mist Spray
If you have not heard of this multi-purpose spray I suggest you look it up because it should be a beauty must have.  Evian Mist Spray is basically a water mist which can be used to set makeup, sprayed on yourself on a hot day or sprayed on a cotton swab to fix those makeup mishaps.  It can be an alternative for those makeup-setting sprays that are in the market.  Try it out!

9.  Moisturizer
Whether you are applying it on your face or body moisturizer is key! They say your skin becomes drier in the colder months but because I live I a relatively humid country all year around, moisturizer has still been a key necessity for me to apply.  I currently use Bath and Body works Japanese Cherry Blossom Body Lotion and it smells and applies smoothly on my skin.  I will however probably buy aveeno or another moisturizer for my body because I don’t think Bath and Body works lotions are the best lotions for me to apply on my skin.  

No comments:

Post a Comment